2010년 11월 22일 월요일

The Theatre of the Absurd

         In the reading “The Theatre of the Absurd” written by Martin Esslin, I agree with author that audiences react positively or negatively depended on what other people or critics say about the play.  During the reading, I think about the time when I go to watch movies.  Before choosing which movie to watch, I usually see the ratings and reviews of the movies, and then choose the movie with great ratings and reviews.  Even though I find the movie that seems very interesting and impressive to me, I do not watch that movie because its ratings and reviews are not great as I expected.  Esslin points out how audiences react to a play differently by giving example of the audiences at San Quentin.  The convicts at the San Quentin enjoy of watching Waiting for Godot and one of the prisoners quotes that “Godot is society” (pg. 339).  However, unlike convicts at the San Quentin, other audiences reacted negatively towards Waiting for Godot because they pay more attentions to reviews which condemn the play for its lack of plot, development, characterization, suspense, or plain common sense (pg. 340).  Also Esslin throw out a question; what is a good play?  I agree with the author that there is no good or bad play because it is all depended on personal taste.  In this week, I think I am going to watch “Harry Potter” movie.  I never have chance to watch Harry Potter series since many of my friends say it is not good as expected.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기