2010년 11월 15일 월요일

Krapp's Last Tape

        In the play “Krapp’s Last Tape” written by Samuel Beckett, the author illustrates the feeling of lonliness.  I imagined how my life would be without anyone besides me when I become an old as Krapp.  Being alone would be scarier than I could imagine, and Beckett used Krapp to show such scene.  At the beginning of the reading, I did not understand why he listened to recorded tapes in the past.  However, as I read more, I realized that he needed these tapes to survive because he was feeling desperately lonely in his life.  He showed his loneliness by repeating “[his] face in her breasts and [his] hand on her”.  It seemed he mostly missed his lover who does not exist any longer around him.  Also I could notice that he had a problem with drinking by reading sentence in which he “goes backstage into darkness, Ten seconds, Pop of cork, Ten seconds, Second cork, Ten seconds, Third cork, Ten seconds”(pg.335).  The Drinking was not a problem for him because drinking made him happy that he sang after the drinking.  It seems drinking was used as to calm Krapp from his feeling of loneliness.  His actions were understandable because I felt sympathy for him.  If I were him, I would do the same thing to survive, or I would have smoked cigarettes too.  In the last sentence, he mentioned that his best year when there was a chance of happiness is gone, but he would not want them back (pg. 337). His last sentence made me very sad, and at the same time, it reminded me that every minutes of living is important.  I wished and wanted that I do not want to live like Krapp had lived.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기