2010년 11월 1일 월요일

The Importance of Being Earnest

         In the play “The Importance of Being Earnest” written by Oscar Wilde, I found very interesting, but disappointed at the same time.  The character Jack who is the protagonist in the play living double life was very interesting.  His background with no identity and his double life leads me to keep reading the play without the rest.  I got very shocked when Miss Prism is revealed to be the governess who mistakenly abandoned Jack as a baby, and Jack is discovered to be Algernon’s elder brother.  This was the most interesting part of the story to me because the origin of Jack is found and Jack is found to be the elder brother of Algernon. 
Before the reading, I expect to find funny scenes that might make me laughing while reading the play.  The story itself was very interesting, but I could not find any humorous scene in the play even though the genre of the play was comedy.  It could be my English skill or my humor sense that limited me from understanding the play.  Anyway, it was not the play that makes me laughing, and I was very disappointed at the play although the story of the play was interesting. 
 

댓글 1개:

  1. I agree with you completely. While the play certainly had its moments, no particular scene or line made me laugh out loud. Perhaps, maybe in todays day and age, our sense of humor, or what we find funny, is different than that of the time this play was produced. Despite not being completely amused, I still liked that the play wasn't as dark as the greek tragedies of Madea and Othello.

    답글삭제